The android pelvis is identified by a funnel shape. It is found in approximately 20% of women. The android pelvis has characteristics of male pelvis.
- The subpubic arch and angle is narrow; it has more bony prominences, together with the ischial spines that are also protuberant as well as narrow. These features can cause difficulty at the time of fetal descent.
- The pelvic inlet is heart-shaped and the posterior segments are compact within all pelvic planes.
- There is slow descent of the fetal head into the pelvis, and failure of the fetus to rotate is a usual occurence.
- The prediction for labor is poor, which can as a result lead to cesarean birth. Women with android pelvis have high possibility of cesarean birth.
- The level of the promontory has the largest diameter.
- The greater sciatic notch is wide and low.
- Small and closely-set muscles of the buttock create small round or triangular cheeks towards the bottom.
Most women having android type pelvis will end up having a Cesarean Section if they are willing to have children. Because they have pelvises that are shaped like an average male, there is almost no real difficulty for women with this pelvis shape in achieving a flat stomach with washboard abdominals.