When an application needs api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0. dll, Windows will check the application and system folders for this.dll file. If the file is missing you might get an error and the application may not work properly.
“The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer.”
It either indicates that Universal CRT, which belongs to the Visual C++ Redistributable has either failed to install correctly or that the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0. dll file has actually gone missing or become corrupted.
DLL stands for Dynamic Link Libraries and are external parts of applications that operate on Windows or other os.
Methods to Fix api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is Missing
Method 1: Install the Software via Windows Update
Microsoft has created Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 in Windows Update KB2999226. So you can install it through Windows Update.
- Type Update in the search box from Start. Then click Check for updates (Windows 10) or Windows Update (Windows 7) from the result.
- Click Check for updates.
- If you use Windows 10, Microsoft will install the detected updates automatically;
- If you use Windows 7, click Install Updates.
- Restart your computer. Then repeat the steps above again until no more updates are available.
- Open the same program or the file to see if the problem is solved.
Method 2: Update for Universal C Runtime
Download the Update for Universal C Runtime from Microsoft. Install the Runtime element and reboot your computer and see. Just for your info, starting with Windows 10, the Universal CRT is part of the operating system.
Method 3: Repair the Visual C++ Redistributable
If you already have the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 on your computer, you can try to repair it to solve this problem.
- Type control in the search box from the Start Then click Control Panel.
- Click Programs and Features under the Small icons pane.
- Click Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable, then Change.
- Click Repair.
- Click Yes when prompted by User Account Control and continue to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair.
Method 4: Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017
Such as the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable package, some programs use the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017. Perhaps you have to install this one. You can get the package on this page.