Symptoms of Error 0x80240016
– Your COMPUTER frequently crashes with Error 0x80240016 when running the same program.
– “Error 0x80240016” appears and crashes the active program window.
– Windows runs sluggishly and responds slowly to mouse or keyboard input.
– Your computer system occasionally “freezes” for a few seconds at a time.
– “IMAP_LOGINFAILURE” is shown.
These 0x80240016 error messages could show up during program installation, while a Microsoft Corporation-related software program (eg. Microsoft Security Essentials) is running, during Windows startup or shutdown, or even during the installation of the Windows operating system. Keeping track of when as well as where your 0x80240016 error occurs is a crucial piece of information in fixing the problem.
Disk Cleanup for clearing out System junk
Over time, your computer accumulates junk files from normal internet surfing as well as computer use. If this junk isn’t occasionally cleaned out, it could cause Microsoft Security Essentials to respond slowly or provides an 0x80240016 error, possibly due to file conflicts or an overloaded hard drive. Cleaning up these temporary files with Disk Cleanup might not just fix your 0x80240016 error, but can also dramatically speed up the performance of your PC.
Because of the shortcomings of the Windows Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr) tool, we highly recommend using a specialized hard disk cleanup/ privacy protection software such as to clean up your entire computer system. Running WinSweeper once daily (using automatic scanning) will guarantee that your computer is always clean, running fast, and free of 0x80240016 errors associated with temporary files.
- How to run Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr) (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10):
- Click the Start button.
- Type “command” in the search box… DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type “cleanmgr” and hit ENTER.
- Disk Cleanup will begin calculating how much occupied disk space you can reclaim.
- The Disk Cleanup dialog box will appear with series of checkboxes you can select. In most cases, the “Temporary Files” category will occupy the most disk space.
- Check the boxes of the categories you want to clean and click OK.
Windows System Restore
Windows System Restore allows you to “go back in time” with your PC to help fix your Error 0x80240016 problems. System Restore can return your PC’s system files and programs back to a time when everything was working fine. This can potentially help you avoid hours of troubleshooting headaches associated with 0x80240016 errors.
- To use System Restore (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10):
- Click the Start button.
- In the search box, type “System Restore” and hit ENTER.
- In the results, click System Restore.
- Enter any administrator passwords (if prompted).
- Follow the steps in the Wizard to choose a restore point.
- Restore your computer.
Repair Registry Errors
Manually editing the Windows registry to remove invalid Error 0x80240016 keys is not recommended unless you are PC service professional. Incorrectly editing your registry can stop your PC from functioning and create irreversible damage to your operating system. In fact, one misplaced comma can prevent your PC from booting entirely!
Because of this risk, we highly recommend using a trusted registry cleaner such as WinThruster to scan and repair any Error 0x80240016-related registry problems. Using a registry cleaner automates the process of finding invalid registry entries, missing file references (like the one causing your 0x80240016 error), and broken links within the registry. A backup is automatically created before each scan, with the ability to undo any changes in a single click, protecting you against the possibility of PC damage. The best part is that repairing registry errors can also dramatically improve system speed and performance.
To manually repair your Windows registry, first you need to create a backup by exporting a portion of the registry related to Error 0x80240016 (eg. Microsoft Security Essentials):
- Click the Startbutton.
- Type “command” in the search box… DO NOThit ENTERyet!
- While holding CTRL-Shifton your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- Click Yes when prompted with a permission dialog box. (A black box will open with a blinking cursor.)
- Type “regedit” and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x80240016-related key (eg. Microsoft Security Essentials) you want to back up.
- From the Filemenu, choose Export.
- In the Save Inlist, select the folder where you want to save the Microsoft Security Essentials backup key.
- In the File Namebox, type a name for your backup file, such as “Microsoft Security Essentials Backup”.
- In the Export Rangebox, be sure that “Selected branch” is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
You now have a backup of your Microsoft Security Essentials-related registry entry. The next steps in manually editing your registry.