If you release a new Database Availability group, you may get the error message “The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)” and need a solution.
Error 0x800706ba might arises when performing PowerShell scripts using WMI query. RPC is classified as the X11 protocol and is in the 6001 to 6032 port range. Generally 6007 is what is being blocked in this case.
Cause of the Error 0x800706ba
- This error is most likely triggered by the RPC ports being blocked in between the servers associated with the communication or server process you are trying to complete.
- The RPC service is stopped on the remote server.
- The Endpoint Mapper on port 135 couldn´t be reached on the remote server.
Resolving Error 0x800706ba
To resolve your issue, perform the following steps:
- Disable the Windows Firewall service (or 3rd party Firewall) on the problematic server.
- Configure Windows Firewall service to allow inbound remote administration connections:
- Launch the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in (gpedit.msc) to edit the Group Policy object (GPO) that is used to manage the Windows Firewall settings in your organization.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Network Connections -> Windows Firewall, and then open either Domain Profile or Standard Profile, depending on the profile which you want to configure.
- Enable the following exception: “Allow inbound remote administration exception“.
- If you use 3rd party Firewall, configure it to allow connections to the following TCP and UDP ports: 135, 445.