When Windows advanced into Windows 10, the program called Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer. It is now the program named Windows Defender. When you upgrade from a previous version of Windows to Windows 10, Windows Defender takes control and replaces Microsoft Security Essentials.
If Microsoft Essentials happened to remain on the system and you have actually upgraded to Windows 10, which provides the protection of enhanced Windows Defender, the error 0x80070426 may appear. Particularly, the program is not compatible with third-party applications.
When Windows defender cannot start Microsoft Security Essentials will be up and running, however it will be Spyware & Unwanted Software Application Protection and Virus Protection both switched off. In these cases, when we (users) try to effectively run the program by switching on the disabled protection options, the Microsoft Security Client turns up with the a dialog box. It says the following error message:
“An error has occurred in program initialization. If this problem continues, contact your System Administrator. Error Code 0x80070426.”
Methods to Fix Error 0x80070426
Method 1: Uninstalling Microsoft Essentials
- Right-click on the toolbar and choose Task Manager.
- Locate Windows Defender (Windefend) and right-click on it, choose End Task. Now you will be able to uninstall the program.
- Enter the Settings, find it in the list and click Uninstall.
Method 2: Restart Security Service
- Open Command Prompt with administrative access.
- Type “services.msc” into the command prompt before hitting Enter.
- Locate “Software Licensing” on the list of services that come up.
- Right-click on “Software Licensing” and select “Properties”.
- Change the “Startup type” to “Automatic” before clicking OK.
- Restart your computer.
Method 3: Store Repair
This is another simple method that can help resolve error code 0x80070426.
- Press the combination of Win+ X key to open the command prompt.
- Type “exe” before hitting Enter.
- Restart your computer just in case it fails to restart automatically.