The anterior nares are the external part of the nose (Nostrils). Each opening is independently called an anterior naris. The anterior nares enable the inhalation as well as exhalation, and open within the nasal cavity. Each opening has an oval shape and generally measures nearly 1.5 cm anteroposteriorly and 1 cm in diameter.
Each naris is created via a ring of structures:
- Medially – the columella which is soft tissue anteroinferior part of the nasal septum.
- Laterally and superiorly – the ala.
- Inferiorly – the nasal sill.
- Hairs in the anterior nares that is the first barrier, helps to remove large particles.
- The mucociliary escalator evicts any microbe or matter passing through this defence system.
- The presence of the ciliated epithelial cells and mucus-secreting cells that line the respiratory epithelium are main factors of this cleaning system.
The anterior nares basically have an epithelium and microflora same as the skin.
The prevailing organisms are:
- Staphylococcus aureus.
- Micrococcus spp.
- Corynebacteriutti spp.
Staph, aureus is generally existent in 20-40% of the population.
- It is a plastic surgery method related to nose and nasal structure for therapeutic, beautification, recreation or structural damage repair, aesthetic modification or dermatological purpose.
- For external structure modification anterior nares play an important role in rhinoplastic procedures for it is vital for aesthetic alignment.